- About Global Advisors
- What is strategy?
- What is strategy consulting?
- Why clients hire strategy consultants
- Critical success factors for partnering with a strategy consultancy
- Why clients typically hire Global Advisors
- Client testimonials
- About Global Advisors
- Our differentiation
- Our experience
- Our vision
- Our values
- Leadership team
- Global Advisors Updates
- Download the Global Advisors “Who We Are” brochure
- Why join Global Advisors?
- Who we hire
- Typical work schedule
- Roles and career progression
- Current hiring
- Interview preparation
- Recruitment application
- Your recruitment application status
- Upload your transcripts
- Refer an employee who joins us and we will give you the latest iPad™!
- Tell friends about our iPad™ referral promotion!
- Follow Global Advisors
- News and tools
Strategy consulting is a widely misunderstood term. The term strategy will itself elicit different definitions from practitioners and executives alike.
The earliest “strategy consultants” were in fact typically operational improvement experts, diagnosing inefficiencies in the production lines of the early Twentieth Century. Consulting grew from the roots of strategic management found in Taylorism and the ideas of Deming. Strategy consulting as most have come to understand it, grew from the portfolio analysis and its micro-economic underpinnings as defined by Igor Ansoff and Bruce Henderson. Later, competitive strategy would be furthered defined by the lectures and writings of Michael Porter.
Of course there a great many other influential strategy writers and thinkers. And strategy consulting has grown to incorporate a wide variety of theory and practice.
We define strategy consulting as working on the top issues of boards of directors, the CEO and executives. Popularised as the issues that “keep the CEO awake at night,” such issues might be a mix of true strategic and operational issues. By virtue of the fact that they rank as top issues (typically the five top priorities), even operational issues on this agenda require a strategic response. This strategic response requires marshalling the use of scarce corporate resources, significant change management and must put the company in a better competitive position.
It is difficult to imagine how the strategic analysis and development process takes place for those that have not participated in it. Good, practical strategies are not the results of brainstorming, creative brilliance or insights based on experience. Global Advisors develops strategies based on immensely rigorous analysis and through building buy-in to defined execution plans.
Organisations use strategy consultants for different reasons. Some might want access to top talent that is scarce or difficult to free up in house. Others might want an external view of a problem that elicits emotional and political responses from people in the company. Many want to leverage the experience consultants bring from other client engagements. Some might want to attach the credibility of a recognised strategy consulting brand to a set of strategy recommendations.
As such, being a Global Advisors strategy consultant is a tremendous privilege – and requires exceptional individuals capable of adding measurable value to top executive teams.
Some further contrasting views on strategy consulting:
Articles about the strategy consulting industry on this website
To The Brainy The Spoils – 11 May 2013 – The Economist
The State of Strategy Consulting 2011 – 2 March 2011 – Harvard Business Review
Strategy Consulting – Victor Chen
Clay Christensen and Dominic Barton on Consulting’s Disruption
Download “Who We Are”
What we do, case studies and profiles of some of our amazing team.
We're really proud of where we are/what we've built.
Connect (login) with:
Global Advisors on Flipboard
Follow us on Facebook
Global Advisors on TwitterMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Microsoft's CEO Sent an Extraordinary Email to Employees After They Committed an Epic Fail
- 36 Books to Read If You Want to Become a Billionaire
- Strategy Consulting | Management Consulting | Global Advisors - A Strategy and Management Consulting Boutique
- Business Leaders Send Trump Their Deregulation Wish List
- Google Just Discovered A Massive Web Leak... And You Might Want To Change All Your Passwords
- What the heck is Ed Schultz doing at CPAC?
- Recruitment application
- Intuition Is The Highest Form Of Intelligence
- I gave up my perfect Google-charmed life in the US to move back home to India
- Jury Rejects U.S. Seizure of Luxury Cars From Exporters
Tag cloud2016 Africa apple Banking and Financial Institutions Borders Brexit business China Companies and Deals Digital Article Donald Trump economics economy education election 2016 europe facebook Fast Feed Fast News finance food Getting There Glass google health Hillary Clinton ideas India innovation Leadership Lifestyle Machines with Brains Media Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures Narendra Modi Our Insights politics science social media technology trump twitter UK Uncategorized Us